2016 Summer Geology Field Camp
The application deadline for UO students is January 29, 2016. The UO Summer Geology Field Camp will be taught as four courses of variable length (GEOL 406) in Oregon and SW Montana. Course fees will be added to this website by late January – total fees for the four courses will be roughly $2,000.
Summer 2016 Course Sequence:
1. June 15-24: GEOL 406 Field Studies – Volcanology, Oregon Cascades, taught by Thomas Giachetti (3 credits)
2. June 25-July 2: GEOL 406 Field Studies - Intro to Geologic Mapping, SW Montana, taught by Samuel Castonguay (2 credits)
4. July 18-28: GEOL 406 Field Studies – CRB Magmatic Processes: NE Oregon, taught by Leif Karlstrom (3 credits)
Students who need a full 6-week field camp to satisfy their degree requirements will want to take all four of the above courses. Students with other degree requirements may take one or two courses, with the restriction that Parts 2 and 3 must be taken together. Graduate-level credit (GEOL 606) is also available for graduate students.
Course fees (~$2,000 for the four courses) will be charged in addition to University tuition and fees. For reference, here are the 2015 Tuition rates. UO students are likely to receive some scholarship support to help with course fees. Additional costs will include meals on days off, lunches in Dillon, Montana, and any other personal expenses.
The first course will start with an organizational meeting at 9:00 a.m. Wednesday June 15 in Cascade Hall, room 200. The group will return to Eugene July 28.
To Apply: Application forms will be posted below soon.
- GEOL 406 or 606 (4 credits) Volcanology
GEOL 406 or 606 (4 credits) Intro to Geologic Mapping
- GEOL 406 or 606 (4 credits) Structural Geology
- GEOL 406 or 606 (4 credits) CRB Magmatic Processes
Send applications to: Marli Miller, Field Camp Coordinator, Dept. of Geological Sciences, 1272 University of Oregon, Eugene, OR, 97403.
The application deadline for UO students is January 29, 2016. Once you are accepted, you will need to send us a non-refundable deposit ($50 per course) by April 1. Late-comers will be considered on a space-available basis.
Here is an Equipment List of things you will need for this course.